Tom Tom Drums (Chicken Legs!)
This is a twist on the old standby of Chicken Drumsticks, but they become mostly a boneless treat, suitable for all ages- From Kids to Adult Cocktail party food. A procedure more than a recipe
- 8 Fresh Chicken Legs, uniform sized if possible
- 1 pkg. Chicken Fry Mix
- 1 Egg beaten with 1/4 cup milk
- 1 Cup Buttermilk (or 1 cup milk with 2 TB vinegar at room temp. for 30 minutes)
- 1/4 Cup Hot Sauce
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Black Ground Pepper
- - Mix the marinade mix in a bowl, pour over prepared chicken legs and refrigerate 30 minutes
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
To Prepare the Chicken Legs:
1. Pull the Skin and meat down from the end of the bone , removing as much of the outer skin and fat as possible. Cut the Pin Bone away from the leg bone (kitchen shears work for this) and trim off any cartilage pieces you can, leaving the meat intact. This step will end up having the chicken leg resemble a mop! Place in a bowl, cover with the marinade.
Prepare the Chicken to Fry.
1. Drain the marinade, pat the legs dry. Dip each leg into the egg mixture then roll heavily in the seasoned chicken fry mix. form the meat to resemble a tom tom. Re dip the breaded chicken leg again in the coating and place standing up on a wax paper covered cookie sheet. Place in freezer 30-60 minutes to firm up and set.
Preheat oil to 375 f. in a wok pan or deep skillet. Preheat oven to 325 f.
Place each tom drumstick in the oil bone up, fry about 3 minutes till firmed, roll several times to brown all sides. Transfer standing upright to a baking dish. Bake at 325 f for 25 minutes or until chicken is 170 f internally.
Serve standing up with your favorite sauces, or coat each drum/tomtom with wing sauce, etc. Enjoy!
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.