Dee's Infamous Southern Poppin' BBQ Sauce
Spicy, Sweet, True BBQ Flavored sauce, good on Almost ANYTHING! YUM!!
- 2 cans (20 ounce or bigger) Roasted garlic and fennel diced tomatoes
- 1 cup Brown sugar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup balsalmic vinegar
- 1 onion
- finely chopped and sauteed till soft n carmelized
- 4 garlic cloves
- finely chopped and sauteed with onion
- 2 bell peppers
- any color (roasted and slightly blackened on the grill)
- 3 pablano peppers (roasted and slightly blackened on the grill)
- 1/2 tsp dried serrano pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup local honey
- Salt and pepper (if needed) to taste
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 7mins
Cost Average budget
Place tomatoes, brown sugar and ketchup in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 1 hour.
Clean seeds from bell peppers. slightly rub with olive oil and roast on grill till slightly blackened and skin is peeling. Let cool slightly and remove skin. Dice into very small pieces and place in medium bowl.
Roast Pablano peppers at the same time... peel and finely chop, add to bowl of bell peppers.
Saute' onion and garlic cloves until caramel-ly in color. Place on top of peppers in bowl
When time is up for tomato mixture, add pepper mixture, balsalmic and honey to saucepan, or transfer all to slow cooker. and add dried serrano pepper flakes. Simmer over very low heat, or cook on low temp in slow cooker for 4-6 hours, until mixture becomes thick and gooey... Brush onto hot, cooked chicken, pork or beef for a brunch or main dish anytime... or use one meat when grilling/Que-ing with friends, family!
You can also add a touch of thickening agent (such as corn starch desolved in cold water) to get the consistency desired.... just add very sparingly and let mixture cook about 10 minutes in between, so you don't get it too thick
You'll also love
- YUM!Food Porn Recipe for bacon-wrapped,... 3.6/5 (138 Votes)
- Southern Style Strawberry Coconut... 3.4/5 (116 Votes)
- L.J.'s Barbeque Rib Sauce 4/5 (5 Votes)
- Easy Barbecue Sauce 2.9/5 (22 Votes)
- The Wife's Specialty Roast 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Moms favorite Meat Loaf 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Salsa 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Easy Tomato Sandwiches On Rye Toast 0/5 (0 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Learn how to make authentic homemade tomato sauce. It's easy as 1-2-3!