Crispy Cherry Rice Treats
It's a twist on the famous Rice Krispies Treats, but I think they're even better! And low on the calories......
- 2 T. butter or margarine
- 38 or 40 large marshmallows
- 6 c. crispy rice cereal
- 8 drained maraschino cherries
- 1 t. almond extract
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 10mins
Cost Average budget
Let the cherries drain on paper toweling. Then put between layers of toweling and press out excess juice. You want them as dry as possible so they don't "bleed."
Butter a 13 X 9-inch baking dish. Melt the butter in a 3 quart pan on low heat. Add the marshmallows. Simmer until melted, add the almond extract and the cereal. Quickly mix, then add the cherries. Quickly mix then put into the prepared baking dish and press into dish with a spatula. Let set and cool. Cut into pieces 2" X 1 1/2" with a sharp knife. 55 calories each!
You'll also love
- Swedish Rice Pudding 4/5 (5 Votes)
- Cucumbers in Sour cream 4/5 (5 Votes)
- Apple Cobbler 4/5 (5 Votes)
- Ragi Pakoda 4/5 (5 Votes)
- Red tamarind chutney for chaat... 4/5 (5 Votes)
- Kids Fave Mac And Cheese 4/5 (4 Votes)
- Jello Salad 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Nanking Cherry Liquer 3.9/5 (87 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Craving sweet? This rustic cherry tart is easy, quick and delicious!
- 1 shortcrust pastry
- 3 cups / 750 g. of cherries
- 1/3 cup / 60 g. of sugar
- 2/3 cup / 60 g. of almond flour
- 4 tbsp. of brown sugar
- A dash of milk
- Mix the cherries and sugar together. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Spread or roll out the shortcrust pastry, sprinkle with almond powder and brown sugar.
- Place the cherries in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches of free dough on the edges. Fold in the edges.
- Brush with milk (this will make the crust go golden), sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
- Top with a handful of chopped pistachios, and serve!
Review this recipe