Corn Meal Dumplings with Ham Hocks
- 1 ham bone after most of the meat has been cut off
- 2 cups corn meal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 or two eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Boil the ham bone until the remaining meat falls off. Remove the pieces of meat and the bone from the broth and set it aside to cool.
Combine meal, flour and onions then add cooled broth until you have a stiff mixture (scant 2 cups). Once you get a stiff mixture that holds together, stop, even if you haven't used all 2 cups.
Add eggs, one at a time, to the mixture. The mix needs to be thick enough to drop by spoonfuls into the cooking broth. If one egg gets you to this stage, stop. If it's still really thick, add the other egg.
Bring the ham broth back to a boil while you're mixing the dumpling mixture.
Drop the dumpling mixture by tablespoonfuls into the boiling ham broth. Cook about 20 minutes, until onions are tender and dumplings are cooked through.
Add the ham back to the broth and dumplings.
Cook the dumplings in an open pot, and don't stir, or they'll turn to mush.
Be careful with the dough, especially at step 2. You can always make it a little thinner, but if you get it too thin, you can't thicken it back up - not easily anyway.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
We are definitely making these Easy Cheesy Mini Pizzas for our next party!
- Pizza Dough (homemade or store bought)
- Shredded cheese
- Pizza sauce
- Cured ham, shredded
- 4 eggs
- Cherry tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- Roll out the dough
- Use a small bowl to cut the dough into rounds
- Add shredded cheese
- Place in oven on an oven tray afr 10 min at 355°F
- Put each dough round into a ramekin
- Add 1 tbsp pizza sauce, a handful of shredded cured ham
- Break an egg into each pizza
- Top with sliced cherry tomatoes and a basil leaf
- Place in oven for another 15 mins at 355°F
- Garnish with parsley and a pinch of pepper
- Serve and enjoy!