Turkish Lentil Soup
The soup is so easy to make and is actually very filling. The recipe makes two big servings, with a bit of leftovers.
- 2 cups of yellow lentils
- 1 clove of garlic crushed in a garlic press
- 3 tablespoons dried mint
- 1 tablespoon basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons sumac
- chili pepper
- olive oil
- the juice of half a lemon
Level of difficulty Easy
Cost Budget Friendly
Wash the lentils really well until the water is clear.
In a big pot, add the lentils and the rice and cover with water. Bring to the boil and then simmer until the lentils are cooked but there is still some liquid remaining. Don't hesitate to add more water if the lentils need to cook longer. Also make sure to keep skimming off the white scum that will be produced while the lentils cook.
When the lentils are cooked, add the fresh garlic, the mint, sumac and olive oil. Add chili pepper according to how spicy you need it to be.
Stir well, and just before serving, take it off the heat and add the lemon juice.
You'll also love
- Creamy Lentils, Potatoes, Goat... 4.2/5 (33 Votes)
- Lobster ginger and green onion 3.6/5 (43 Votes)
- Sauteed Carrots with Sage 4/5 (24 Votes)
- Creamy Turkey or Chicken Enchiladas 4/5 (17 Votes)
- Scalloped Potatoes with Cheddar 4/5 (22 Votes)
- Baked Potato & Broccoli Snack 4/5 (19 Votes)
- Tomato and Butter Soup 4/5 (16 Votes)
- Sukiyaki 4/5 (15 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These baked Cheesy Eggplant Hedgehogs are totally adorable, tasty and really easy to make!
- 3 large eggplants
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cup shredded cheese
- Mix the olive oil, chopped basil, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Carefully slice the eggplant on it's side in a cross-hatch pattern, without cutting all the way through.
- Lay the eggplants inside an oven-safe baking tray.
- Pour the oil mixture over the eggplants, taking care to pour between the slices.
- Stuff the gaps in the eggplant with shredded cheese.
- Cook in the oven at 355°F for 45 minutes, until the flesh is cooked and the cheese totally melted.
- Serve and enjoy!