Black Eyed Peas
Black eyed peas the traditional way.
- 1 pound dried black eyed peas
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion
- Black pepper
- Red or green diced peppers
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 80mins
Cost Average budget
Soak the dried black eyed peas over night.
Chop a onion. Drain the peas and set them aside. In a large skillet place the butter an onions. Pour the butter and peas in a pot. When the butter melts turn up the heat and add the peas.
Cover and cook the peas about ten minutes, then add the diced peppers. Add just enough water to cover the peas. Continue cooking for an hour or until the peas are tender.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These tasty stuffed cabbage rolls are so easy!
- 1 onion
- 5 - 6 thick rashers bacon
- 1/2 lb sausage meat
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 cabbage head
- Fry the bacon in a skillet, then add onion, and meat.
- Add tomato paste, bell peppers, garlic and salt, and simmer till cooked through
- Boil 1 whole cabbage head in salted water till tender
- Spoon mixture into individual cabbage leaves, and fold carefully to form little rolls
- Serve with any remaining mixture