Ellu poornam, Kolukkattai & Ulunthu pooranam, Kolukkattai
- 1. For Ellu Poornam:
- Sesame seeds (black or white) - 1 cup...If black, roast and rub it in a cloth and deskin it.
- Jaggery - 1 1/2 cup
- Elachi - 1 teaspoon
- 2. For Ulunthu poornam
- Vadai maavu- Made with soaked urad dal, chillies, salt ground to a fine paste.
- Oil, mustard seeds, split urad dal, curry leaves for sauteeing.
- 3. For kolukkattai:
- Raw rice: rinsed in water and dried...Grind it.
- Salt and gingely Oil.
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Dry roast sesame seeds.
Cool and grind to fine powder.
Separately grind jaggery to fine powder.
Mix them evenly. Depending on what color sesame seeds are used, the powder may be black or white.
Steam Vada maavu in idli maker and make idlis.
Mash it coarsely.
Saute Mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves and add the coarse mixture.
These pooranams can be had as a snack seperately or can be made into a kolukkattai.
For the kolukkati add 1 cup wet rice flour to 1/2 cup boiling water+salt and oil. Keep some boiling water on the side...if needed add for a smooth consistency. Make a mould of choice, add the poornam and steam for 10 minutes in the idlimaker.
You'll also love
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie 4.2/5 (6 Votes)
- mmpretzals 4.2/5 (6 Votes)
- Tomato Basil Parmesan Tiramisu 3.9/5 (80 Votes)
- Okkarai 4.2/5 (13 Votes)
- Turkey (Lunch meat) & Stove top... 3.8/5 (16 Votes)
- Pumpkin Roll 3.7/5 (36 Votes)
- Chicken and Stuffing Casserole 4.1/5 (8 Votes)
- Papa's Butter Tart Filling 4/5 (4 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.