Pickled Peppers and Tomatoes
This is the recipe that we got from Gramma Kate and we use it for pickling our peppers and green tomatoes.
Whatever you want to pickle should be fresh picked, cleaned and bruise free. We use hot and sweet peppers. We add celery, carrots, garlic, fresh dill and sometimes cauliflower. What you add extra is up to you BUY always add garlic and dill. You can also make your own pickled vegies with this recipe.
- 1 quart WHITE vinegar
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup of canning salt (make sure it is not iodine) (we cut the salt to ¾ cup and found it is salty enough)
- We also add garlic cloves and dill to the liquid mix.
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
In clean jars (pints or larger) pack the items in the jar making sure the jars are tightly packed. The variety is up to you. Mix and match... the choice is yours. After your jars are packed and standing on the counter take the caps and lids for the jars in a pan of water that is enough to cover the caps. Turn the heat on under the pan and when it comes to a simmer shut off.
Bring liquid to a boil and stir to dissolve the salt. When salt has dissolved and the liquid is boiling fill jars up to the neck of the jars. Wipe the lip of the jar and cover with the cover & cap from the water
Set filled jars away from sudden temperature change. When caps snap they are done. Let sit at least 15 days so the flavor goes thru everything. If there are any jars that don’t seal you can reheat liquid and recap or just hold in the ‘fridge.
You'll also love
- Spicy Cajun BBQ Chicken 4.2/5 (39 Votes)
- Blue cheese crackers 4/5 (18 Votes)
- Sausage Rolls 3.8/5 (23 Votes)
- Cayenne Pepper Jelly 3.7/5 (27 Votes)
- Chicken- Aromatic Green 3.7/5 (21 Votes)
- Lemon Garlic Grilled Chicken 3.3/5 (16 Votes)
- Pumpkin Chia Overnight Oats 2.5/5 (152 Votes)
- Herb and Wine Salmon 2.9/5 (14 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Are you curious to find out what the best way to chop a garlic clove is? We show you the easiest and most efficient way to chop garlic cloves like a chef!
Review this recipe