Real Southern Fried Chicken
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- +/- 1 cup hot sauce
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- House seasoning, recipe follows
- 1 (1 to 2 1/2-pound) chicken, cut into pieces
- Oil, for frying, preferably peanut oil
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs with the water. Add enough hot sauce so the egg mixture is bright orange. In another bowl, combine the flour and pepper. Season the chicken with the house seasoning. Dip the seasoned chicken in the egg, and then coat well in the flour mixture.
Heat the oil to 350 degrees F in a deep pot. Do not fill the pot more than 1/2 full with oil.
Fry the chicken in the oil until brown and crisp. Dark meat takes longer then white meat. It should take dark meat about 13 to 14 minutes, white meat around 8 to 10 minutes.
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
Serve hot with salad and fries.
You'll also love
- Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Rice 2.3/5 (37 Votes)
- Crab Meat Omelet 2.7/5 (10 Votes)
- Turkey meatloaf with hulled barley... 2.7/5 (17 Votes)
- fried bologna sandwich 2.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Cheesy Chicken Dip 2.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Sausage Gravy 2.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Thavala vadai 2.7/5 (40 Votes)
- Rice Crust 2.5/5 (218 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.