Fast and Easy Snacking Cake
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup each granulated sugar and packed brown sugar
- 1 cup mashed overripe bananas (about 3)
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp each baking soda and salt
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Cost Average budget
In large bowl, combine eggs, oil and granulated and brown sugars; with electric mixer, beat until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Add bananas and beat until blended in, about 30 seconds.
In separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir in at low speed until blended, about 30 seconds. Pour into greased and floured 8- to 9- inch (20 to 23 cm) square cake pan. Bake in 350F (180C) oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
Use overripe bananas or leftover canned pumpkin or applesauce to make a moist, flavourful cake that can be whipped up in minutes. Use as a snacking cake or quick dessert or for lunchboxes. Frost with a simple buttercream or just dust with icing sugar.
Pumpkin or Applesauce Cake variation: Instead of bananas, use 1 cup (250 mL) canned pumpkin puree or 3/4 cup (175 mL) smooth applesauce. To the flour mixture, add 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each nutmeg, all- spice and ground cloves.
Pumpkin-Gingerbread variation: Instead of bananas, use 1 cup (250 mL) canned pumpkin puree. Instead of brown sugar, use 1/2 cup (125 mL) molasses. To flour mixture, add 2 tsp (10 mL) ground ginger and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and ground cloves. Serve warm, with whipped cream. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
You'll also love
- Almond and Pumpkin Muffins 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Knorr Garlic Spinach Dip 2.9/5 (16 Votes)
- Peanut Butter Cup Cookies 2.5/5 (3 Votes)
- Green Jello Salad 2.9/5 (12 Votes)
- Caramel nut slices 2.9/5 (12 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Banana Split Cake 2.8/5 (18 Votes)
- Grammy's Ruby Cake 3/5 (2 Votes)
- Skor Bar Squares 2.7/5 (14 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Craving sweet? This rustic cherry tart is easy, quick and delicious!
- 1 shortcrust pastry
- 3 cups / 750 g. of cherries
- 1/3 cup / 60 g. of sugar
- 2/3 cup / 60 g. of almond flour
- 4 tbsp. of brown sugar
- A dash of milk
- Mix the cherries and sugar together. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Spread or roll out the shortcrust pastry, sprinkle with almond powder and brown sugar.
- Place the cherries in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches of free dough on the edges. Fold in the edges.
- Brush with milk (this will make the crust go golden), sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
- Top with a handful of chopped pistachios, and serve!