Indian Sloppy Joes
By Tisa Jacob
Sloppy Joes get an Indian makeover.
Trust us, you've GOT to try these!
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 onion
- finely chopped
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 heaped tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 tomato diced
- 2 tsp cayenne or Indian chili powder*
- 1-2 tbsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 lb lean ground beef (I use 93% lean)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 c water
- ¼ c tomato ketchup
- 1 ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2-3 tbsp softened butter
- 24 Hawaiian rolls (two 12 packs) or any mildly sweet rolls
- handful chopped cilantro
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat, until it shimmers.
Add the chopped onion, saute until translucent.
Add garlic, ginger, stir until they cook down, about 1 minute.
Add the diced tomato, cayenne, coriander, cumin. Stir once around to combine. Add beef. Take heat to high and stir beef until it sizzles and is slightly browned (it won't cook all over, but the idea is to create a slight browned crust throughout parts of the meat.
Add pepper, salt, water and bring meat mixture to boil.
Once it reaches boil, reduce the heat and stir in ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and sugar.
Simmer, half covered until meat cooks through and mixture thickens, 8-10 minutes.
Turn off heat.
In the meantime, turn on oven's broiler.
Separate Hawaiian rolls, lay on lined baking sheets, white sides up. Spread with butter.
Place under broiler, I minute, or until browned, keeping an eye not to burn.
Take rolls out and place 1-2 tbsp filling onto bottom part of bun. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Cover with the top part of roll.
Feel free to adjust the cayenne pepper, spice powders to your level of comfort.
You'll also love
- Cauliflower Gratin with Bolognese... 4.4/5 (77 Votes)
- Beef and Worcestershire Cheese Ball 4.1/5 (42 Votes)
- SHEPHERDS PIE 4.2/5 (34 Votes)
- Rosemary Honey Sweet Potato Goodies 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
- Rava Kichidi Chennai Style 4.2/5 (31 Votes)
- Tirunelveli halwa with whole wheat 4.2/5 (29 Votes)
- Momma's sloppy joes 4.3/5 (22 Votes)
- Cherry Tomato Salsa 4.1/5 (32 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Ginger is a delicious spice, but it can be hard to peel it without wasting. In this video we show you a quick trick to peel ginger like a pro, minus the waste!