Classic Lemon Drizzle Cake
- 225g unsalted butter softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 225g self raising flour
- for the drizzle topping
- juice 1 and half lemon
- 85g caster sugar
Level of difficulty Easy
Cost Budget Friendly
Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Beat together 225g softened unsalted butter and 225g caster sugar until pale and creamy, then add 4 eggs, one at a time, slowly mixing through. Sift in 225g flour, then add the finely grated zest of 1 lemon and mix until well combined. Line a loaf tin (8 x 21cm) with greaseproof paper, then spoon in the mixture and level the top with a spoon
Bake for 45-50 mins until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. While the cake is cooling in its tin, mix together the juice of 1 1/2 lemons and 85g caster sugar to make the drizzle. Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour over the drizzle – the juice will sink in and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping. Leave in the tin until completely cool, then remove and serve. Will keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days, or freeze for up to 1 month.
You'll also love
- Lemon Blueberry Bread 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Recipe for chocolate-covered... 4.4/5 (91 Votes)
- Lemon Cheesecake 4.2/5 (68 Votes)
- Harvest Guava Galette 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Dessert- Sticky Date Pudding 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pistachio Cake 0/5 (0 Votes)
- simple cake 0/5 (0 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Craving sweet? This rustic cherry tart is easy, quick and delicious!
- 1 shortcrust pastry
- 3 cups / 750 g. of cherries
- 1/3 cup / 60 g. of sugar
- 2/3 cup / 60 g. of almond flour
- 4 tbsp. of brown sugar
- A dash of milk
- Mix the cherries and sugar together. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Spread or roll out the shortcrust pastry, sprinkle with almond powder and brown sugar.
- Place the cherries in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches of free dough on the edges. Fold in the edges.
- Brush with milk (this will make the crust go golden), sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
- Top with a handful of chopped pistachios, and serve!
Review this recipe