Best-Rated London Restaurant on TripAdvisor Turns Out to Be a Scam
This man created a fake name, fake food, fake photos, and even a fake phone number...then made his "restaurant" the most sought-after spot in London.
© Theo McInnes
Fed Up With "False Reality"
Oobah Butler, a British journalist, was fed up with TripAdvisor. Early on in his writing career, restaurant owners would pay him as much as £10 to write positive reviews about their establishments, even when he had never set foot in them or tasted their food.
Even though he admits that most reviews on TripAdvisor are, in fact, genuine, he knew he wasn't the only one getting paid to lie. And it was in his frustration that he began to wonder just how much false information the internet was willing to accept.
We've all probably wondered that ourselves, to be honest. But Oobah went farther than anyone else has dared and decided to put that to the test...
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.