Indian yellow lentils with zucchini
- 1 cup small yellow lenses.
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric.
- 1 1/4 cups of water.
- 1 1/2 cups of diced zucchini.
- 4 tbsp. vegetable oil.
- 1 large onion, cut into thin strips.
- 2 cloves garlic crushed.
- 2 fresh green chilies, chopped.
- 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds.
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds.
- some cilantro leaves and chopped fresh mint.
- 6-8 curry leaves.
- 1/2 tsp. sugar.
- 4 tbsp. lemon juice.
- 8 oz canned chopped tomatoes.
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Budget Friendly
In a saucepan, boil the lentils and turmeric in water, then reduce heat and simmer until the lentils are cooked but not too soft. Drain and reserve the liquid and lentils.
Heat oil in a pan and fry the remaining ingredients except lemon juice. Cover and cook until the zucchini is al dente. Stir in the drained lentils and lemon juice. If the dish is too dry, add a little reserved water. Reheat and serve
You'll also love
- Molagai Podi/South Indian Chutney... 4.8/5 (7 Votes)
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole 2.9/5 (14 Votes)
- Melted Vegetables 3.1/5 (11 Votes)
- Baked Beans 2.8/5 (33 Votes)
- Mom's aloo tikian with chole... 2.8/5 (12 Votes)
- Ratatouille with Goat Cheese and... 3/5 (118 Votes)
- Turnip ka bharta ( Seasoned mashed... 2.8/5 (22 Votes)
- Urad Dal Rice 2.8/5 (6 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Combine summer zucchini with leftover mashed potatoes for a delicious, savory treat!
- 5 Potatoes
- 1.5 Cup shredded zucchini
- 3/4 Cup shredded cheese
- 3/ Cup milk
- 1/3 Cup coriander, chopped
- 1/3 Cup basil, chopped
- Parmesan, to sprinkle
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Chop the potatoes in half, boil until very tender and drain.
- In a bowl, combine the potatoes and zucchini. Add the grated cheese, milk, coriander, basil, salt and pepper, and mix thoroughly.
- On a baking tray, spoon out the zucchini-potato mixture and form into balls.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and grated cheese, and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- When golden, remove from oven... and enjoy!
Review this recipe