Urad Dal Rice
Urad Dal / Ulunthu is one of the common dish in south india. It is enriched with the proteins and minerals
- Ponni Rice- 1 cup
- Splited black urad dal - 1/2 cup
- venthayam - 1/8 tea spoon (or just 5 or 6 of it.)
- cumin / jeera - 1 tea spoon
- garlic - 2 gloves (cut into pieces)
- salt - as per taste
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 15mins
Cost Average budget
Wash Rice and dal and soak for 15 mins
In a pressure cooker add the soaked rice, dal, cumin, venthayam, garlic,salt and add 3 cups of water.
Leave it to 3 whistles and cook.
when the pressure is released by itself serve with your choice of tamarind gravy (pulusu) or thogayal.
Any kind of Urad dal can be used for this rice, but I prefer the one with skin and splited into half. which will give you a better taste, color and aroma..
You'll also love
- Grilled Vegetable Bruschetta 2.9/5 (29 Votes)
- FRENCH ONION SOUP 2.8/5 (9 Votes)
- Christmas Couscous 2.7/5 (13 Votes)
- Chicken Manchurian dry 2.6/5 (21 Votes)
- Potato Salad 2.8/5 (8 Votes)
- Butter Chicken 2.9/5 (40 Votes)
- Pancakes stuffed with sausage and... 2.7/5 (12 Votes)
- paruppu vadai (aama vadai) 2.4/5 (67 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These baked Cheesy Eggplant Hedgehogs are totally adorable, tasty and really easy to make!
- 3 large eggplants
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cup shredded cheese
- Mix the olive oil, chopped basil, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Carefully slice the eggplant on it's side in a cross-hatch pattern, without cutting all the way through.
- Lay the eggplants inside an oven-safe baking tray.
- Pour the oil mixture over the eggplants, taking care to pour between the slices.
- Stuff the gaps in the eggplant with shredded cheese.
- Cook in the oven at 355°F for 45 minutes, until the flesh is cooked and the cheese totally melted.
- Serve and enjoy!