Tofu tart with arugula
- puff pastry
- 5 cups arugula
- 12 oz fresh tofu
- 1 ball of mozzarella in its liquid
- Olive oil, salt, pepper
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Preheat oven to 375
Important: the cooking is done in two stages. 30 minutes and then 10 minutes just before serving.
Spread the puff pastry into a greased tart or pie pan and cover with stale bread crumbs. This is important, the bread crumbs will bring crispness ... Cover with a thin layer of Parmesan cheese.
Cut the tofu into rectangles, the height should not exceed an inch. Cover the bottom of dough. Sprinkle with salt pepper [or salt and pepper flakes]. Add half the arugula. It should reach to the top of pie crust. Sprinkle with a few drops of olive oil. Bake 30 minutes.
Remove pie from oven; the arugula leaves are shriveled, dry surface, some brown, it's normal! And it is these leaves that are going to make a delicious spicy taste. Spread over a good handful of grated cheese [ do not use pre grated, from a bag. It will be too dry! ]. Wait until the pie cools then cover with remaining arugula. Sprinkle the leaves with pieces of mozzarella and then drops of olive oil. Cook ten minutes, until cheese melts a bit, but the arugula is still fresh and green. This is a great combination. The tofu is soft and firm at the same time and the arugula just warmed [protected by the Mozzarella] develops its aromas of hazelnut and bursts of pure green color.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These baked Cheesy Eggplant Hedgehogs are totally adorable, tasty and really easy to make!
- 3 large eggplants
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cup shredded cheese
- Mix the olive oil, chopped basil, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Carefully slice the eggplant on it's side in a cross-hatch pattern, without cutting all the way through.
- Lay the eggplants inside an oven-safe baking tray.
- Pour the oil mixture over the eggplants, taking care to pour between the slices.
- Stuff the gaps in the eggplant with shredded cheese.
- Cook in the oven at 355°F for 45 minutes, until the flesh is cooked and the cheese totally melted.
- Serve and enjoy!