Tofu tart with arugula
- puff pastry
- 5 cups arugula
- 12 oz fresh tofu
- 1 ball of mozzarella in its liquid
- Olive oil, salt, pepper
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Preheat oven to 375
Important: the cooking is done in two stages. 30 minutes and then 10 minutes just before serving.
Spread the puff pastry into a greased tart or pie pan and cover with stale bread crumbs. This is important, the bread crumbs will bring crispness ... Cover with a thin layer of Parmesan cheese.
Cut the tofu into rectangles, the height should not exceed an inch. Cover the bottom of dough. Sprinkle with salt pepper [or salt and pepper flakes]. Add half the arugula. It should reach to the top of pie crust. Sprinkle with a few drops of olive oil. Bake 30 minutes.
Remove pie from oven; the arugula leaves are shriveled, dry surface, some brown, it's normal! And it is these leaves that are going to make a delicious spicy taste. Spread over a good handful of grated cheese [ do not use pre grated, from a bag. It will be too dry! ]. Wait until the pie cools then cover with remaining arugula. Sprinkle the leaves with pieces of mozzarella and then drops of olive oil. Cook ten minutes, until cheese melts a bit, but the arugula is still fresh and green. This is a great combination. The tofu is soft and firm at the same time and the arugula just warmed [protected by the Mozzarella] develops its aromas of hazelnut and bursts of pure green color.
You'll also love
- Duck Confit Flatbread 4/5 (33 Votes)
- Homemade Spaghetti Sauce 3/5 (5 Votes)
- Southwestern Spiced Broccoli and... 3.4/5 (19 Votes)
- Vegetable Burgers 2.9/5 (22 Votes)
- GENERAL TAO'S TOFU 2.9/5 (22 Votes)
- Vegan Club Sandwich 2.9/5 (9 Votes)
- Thai Salad 2.9/5 (14 Votes)
- Tricolor Peppers, Arugula, Parmesan 1.5/5 (71 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These baked Cheesy Eggplant Hedgehogs are totally adorable, tasty and really easy to make!
- 3 large eggplants
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cup shredded cheese
- Mix the olive oil, chopped basil, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Carefully slice the eggplant on it's side in a cross-hatch pattern, without cutting all the way through.
- Lay the eggplants inside an oven-safe baking tray.
- Pour the oil mixture over the eggplants, taking care to pour between the slices.
- Stuff the gaps in the eggplant with shredded cheese.
- Cook in the oven at 355°F for 45 minutes, until the flesh is cooked and the cheese totally melted.
- Serve and enjoy!