Apple Pie with Cranberry and Pomegranate Sauce
Delicious homemade recipe for good ol' Apple Pie.
Apple Pie with Cranberry and Pomegranate Sauce. Discover our recipe.
- Pie Crust:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs. white sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) ice water
- Apple Filling:
- 5 Large apples
- and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1/2 cup chopped Pecans/or Walnuts
- 2 cup fresh Cranberries
- 1 cup Pomegranate(or seeds from 1 large)
- 2 Tbs. Sugar
- 1 cup water
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
Cost Budget Friendly
You can use dough processor bowl for this too, I tried doing it the old fashion way and it does take some work but it was worth it!
In a large bowl place the flour, salt, and sugar and with a fork mix until combined. Add butter, stir than pour water slowly and mix until you form a bowl.
Flour the work surface and put the dough ball on the flour.
With your hands knead the dough. The dough is ready once it is holding in one place(if you pinch it, it will still hold the shape).
Divide the dough in half and flattening each half into a disks, and cover with plastic wrap.
Refrigerate for about 30 minutes, maybe a bit more.
Take the dough from the fridge and one part put on a already floured work area.
Fold the dough in half and transfer to a 9in. circled pan.
Cover with plastic wrap and place it back in the fridge.
Than take the other part of the dough and roll it out to about 12in.
Best if you place it on the parchment paper and than back to the fridge until ready to be used.
Apple Pie preparation:
Peel all the apples and cut into 1/2 in thick slices.
In a large glass bowl or any on your hand put sliced apples, and all other ingredients.
Mix with your hands to combine everything together, cover and let it sit on the room temperature for next 30 minutes or more.
Juices will come down and you can now drain the apples and separate juice from the apple mixture.
Put the juice in a microwave safe dish/or in the sauce pan and heat for 3 minutes in the microwave or on a low heat in a sauce pan for maybe 10 minutes until the juice reduce and becomes a thick sauce.
In a meanwhile take rolled dough out the fridge to get bit warm and it will be easier to work with warmer dough.
Now pour the thick sauce over the apples and stir.
Fill the apple dough with a apples, pack them nicely and keep from the edges.
Cover with a 12in rolled dough and with a finger shape the dough edges to get it sealed bit also to make it more appealing.
Cut the middle of the pie one line to let the steam get put.
Preheat the oven on 400F (200C) and bake the pie for about 40-50 minutes or until the pie is golden brown.
Because edges do burn faster after maybe 25 minutes of baking take some aluminium foil and wrap the edges all around the pie.
Combine everything for the sauce and boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer until it becomes thick.
Serve it over the pie.
Great pie with ice cream.
You can use pre-made pie dough.
You'll also love
- Philadelphia Cheese Ball with... 4.8/5 (80 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ The Best Chocolate Bark, That is... 4.3/5 (80 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn This spiced French toast recipe... 4.6/5 (55 Votes)
- Buttercream Carrot Cake Icing 4.2/5 (85 Votes)
- Rum Cake 3/5 (181 Votes)
- Puff Pastry Apple or Pear Tart 4.1/5 (87 Votes)
- Low Cal Apple Crisp 3.5/5 (135 Votes)
- White Chocolate Berry Bread Pudding 4.5/5 (52 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
This French tarte tatin is golden, caramelized apple perfection!
- 1 puff pastry
- 6 apples, sliced
- 3 oz. chilled butter, chopped into chunks
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Roll out a puff pastry.
- Lay out the apple slices in a pan.
- Add chunks of butter on top of the apples.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar on top.
- Cook for 20 minutes in oven at 350°F, to caramelize the apples.
- Place puff pastry on top of the caramelized apples.
- Cook for 15 minutes at 350°F.