Caramel Apple Upside-Down Cake
A new way to enjoy the flavors of a fall favorite! Rich, brown sugar and cinnamon-spiked cake with luscious caramel and tart slices of apple baked right in. Bon appetit!
A new way to enjoy the flavors of a fall favorite! Recipe here.
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon molasses
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and diced
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 50mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat oven to 350. Liberally butter a 9x9 pan; set aside.
Combine butter and half-and-half in a medium saucepan and place over medium heat until butter melts. Stir in packed brown sugar. Cook, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves and mixture is uniform. Cook until caramel reaches soft ball state on a candy thermometer, then remove from heat.
Pour 1/2 cup caramel sauce on the bottom of the greased pan, tilting to make sure it's completely coated. Lay slices of apple on top of the caramel. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine brown sugar, molasses, oil, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla. Stir on medium until completely combined, 1-2 minutes. Sift in flour, cinnamon, and baking powder. Stir on low until just combined, then turn to medium for 2 minutes, stirring down sides frequently, until batter is smooth and even. Stir in diced apple with a wooden spoon.
Pour cake batter over top of sliced apples. Spread batter evenly, getting as close to edges of pan as possible.
Bake in preheated oven 35-40 minutes, until cake is golden brown at edges and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cake cool for 10 minutes before flipping cake out onto plate. Let side an additional 5-10 minutes before slicing. To serve, drizzle with additional caramel and caramel apple toppings of choice (mini chocolate chips, walnuts, etc).
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Sweet Apple Cinnamon Rolls
Pie crust dough
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup almond powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Halve an apple and slice each half finely.
2. Cut the top of a pie crust to get a straight edge.
3. Spread the brown sugar and almond powder all over the dough.
4. To get the first row, line up the apples in a straight line and cut out the section. Continue until all the dough is all used up.
5. Mix egg yellow and milk and cover each roll with the mixture.
6. If you wish, sprinkle a little extra brown sugar on top of each roll.
7. Bake in the oven for 18 min at 350° F.