Yummy Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
- 8 maraschino cherries
- 1/4 cup walnut halves
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 60mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Drain pineapple and reserve 1/2 cup of the juice.
Melt butter in a 9 inch round pan. Arrange cherries and walnut halves in the pan according to how many servings you want. Sprinkle with brown sugar, and then pineapple.
Cream together shortening and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, and beat well. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add alternately with reserved pineapple syrup, beating after each addition.
Spread batter in pan over pineapple. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 to 50 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes in the pan, then invert onto plate. Serve warm.
You'll also love
- YUM!Food Porn Filo Pastry Parcels with Scallops... 4.3/5 (37 Votes)
- Nana's Cherry Squares 4/5 (8 Votes)
- Creme Puff Cake 4.2/5 (67 Votes)
- Sour Cream Pound Cake 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- Strawberry Pineapple Cake 4/5 (77 Votes)
- Tropical Punch Tea 4/5 (15 Votes)
- Marble upside down cake 3.8/5 (29 Votes)
- Tropical Island Bread Pudding 4.2/5 (6 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Craving sweet? This rustic cherry tart is easy, quick and delicious!
- 1 shortcrust pastry
- 3 cups / 750 g. of cherries
- 1/3 cup / 60 g. of sugar
- 2/3 cup / 60 g. of almond flour
- 4 tbsp. of brown sugar
- A dash of milk
- Mix the cherries and sugar together. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Spread or roll out the shortcrust pastry, sprinkle with almond powder and brown sugar.
- Place the cherries in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches of free dough on the edges. Fold in the edges.
- Brush with milk (this will make the crust go golden), sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
- Top with a handful of chopped pistachios, and serve!