Triple Peppermint Bars
These bars were a staple at my work for Christmas 2013. I made them several times and people were always asking for more.
With a crispy crust, a smooth creamy filling and a crunchy topper who wouldn't go crazy for these?
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mint chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp mint extract
- 8 ounces chocolate (dark
- semisweet or milk)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup crushed candy canes
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 25mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat oven to 375°.
To prepare base whisk together butter, sugar, egg and vanilla. Sift in dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Add in chocolate chips. Press base into a buttered or parchment lined 9" square pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until fully cooked and edges have browned.
While the base is cooking blend together butter, mint extract and cream cheese with an electric mixer or whisk for the filling. Sift in icing sugar until fully combined. Chill.
Allow cookie base to cool and then refrigerate half an hour to chill it. Once chilled spread the filling evenly along the base. Place in freezer or fridge until needed.
For the topping melt butter and chocolate over a double boiler at medium low heat. Once fully melted, remove squares from freezer and carefully pour chocolate evenly on the top. Some spreading may be required to evenly coat, just be careful not to mix in the cream cheese while in the process. Sprinkle candy cane pieces on top and press lightly to set them in.
Refrigerate until needed. Cut into 16 squares and enjoy!
Try not to rush the process of chilling as it really makes a difference. Although you can rush it, it will not turn out as nice or tasty.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Named for the famous ballerina Anna Pavlova, this delicate lemon pavlova is simply divine.
- Confectioner's sugar
- Fresh lemon juice
- Lemon zest
- Separate egg yolks and whites
- In a bowl, whisk egg whites
- Add confectioner's sugar
- Distribute on baking pan and flatten center lightly with a spoon
- Bake for 30 minutes at 250 degrees
- While that's baking, squeeze fresh lemon juice into a bowl
- Add egg yolks, sugar, and flour then whisk together
- Add butter and whisk again
- Take the merigues out of the oven once they're ready
- Spoon the filling into the center of the meringues
- Grate lemon rind and sprinkle the zest over the top of the pavlovas