Thukpa - Tibetan Noodle Soup
Change things up from your usual Japanese ramen or other Asian noodle soup with this delicious Tibetan version called Thukpa. With some Indian influence, it's a fragrant comforting meal you'll love.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp garlic (minced)
- 1 jalapeno (seeded diced)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 medium tomato (chopped)
- 1 cup cabbage (chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 chicken thigh with skin and bones
- 3 cups water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 5 sprigs cilantro (chopped)
- 5 oz rice noodles or noodles of your choice
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp oil
- Pinch of salt
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Budget Friendly
For the Soup:
1. Set Instant Pot to saute mode and heat oil.
2. Add garlic and jalapeno. Cook for 30 seconds.
3. Add in onions and cook till translucent. Stir frequently.
4. Add in tomatoes and cabbage. Stir and cook till the vegetables are softened.
5. Add in the dry spices: salt, cayenne pepper, garam masala. Stir and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
6. Add the chicken.
7. Add vegetable bouillon cube with 3 cups water and stir, letting the cube dissolve.
8. Close the lid, set to the Soup setting, and set the timer for 7 minutes.
9. Let the Instant Pot run its cycle and naturally releases (about 10 minutes).
10. Carefully unlock and remove the lid.
11. Remove the chicken thigh, and shred with two forks (discard skin).
12. Add the chicken back to the soup, and sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Adjust spices as necessary.
For the Noodles:
1. Boil water and add salt.
2. Add in the noodles and cook as per package directions.
3. Once done, drain the noodles, then add the oil and mix to coat. This helps prevent the noodles from sticking together.
For the Omelet:
1. Crack the egg in a bowl and beat it well.
2. Add a pinch of salt.
3. Heat oil over medium in a small skillet.
4. Pour in the egg, tilt the pan to let it cover the whole surface and let it cook, undisturbed until set.
5. Flip and cook on the other side for a minute more.
6. Remove from heat, cut into strips and set aside.
1. In a deep serving bowl, add in half the cooked noodles.
2. Pour in half the soup.
3. Add in the omelet strips.
4. Garnish with fresh cilantro and fresh chilies, if desired.
Add in vegetables of your choice example: Carrots, Spinach, Tofu.
Use Vegetable broth instead of the Vegetable cube and water in the Soup.
This recipe makes two hearty servings.
You'll also love
- Tortilla Taco Casserole 4.2/5 (28 Votes)
- Cabbage Rolls 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Mashed Potatoes 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Thai Green Curry 4.2/5 (5 Votes)
- Classic Meat Loaf 4.6/5 (4 Votes)
- California Roll 4.2/5 (22 Votes)
- Щавелевый Борщ... 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Brazilian Fish in Pineapple &... 4.1/5 (71 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Dive into summer with this fresh, light and healthy mango salad!
- 2 limes
- Olive oil
- Soy sauce
- Red onion, minced
- Lightly sautée the peanuts until golden.
- Take the carrots and cut into thin slices.
- Peel the mango and slice into thin strips.
- Squeeze the juice from 2 limes into a bowl, and add olive oil, soy sauce, minced onion, salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, toss together the mango, carrot, rocket, and lime-soy dressing.