Crispy BBQ Tofu
Extra-firm tofu is a versatile plant-based protein and comes out wonderfully crispy in this BBQ recipe.
- 1 pkg (16 ounces) extra firm tofu (drain water)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tbsp scallions (chopped)
- 2 tbsp oil (for frying)
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Drain tofu, and place it in a bowl. Top with a paper towel, and place a heavy-bottomed pot on top. Let sit for 15 minutes to drain as much liquid as possible. Cut into small strips.
Heat oil in skillet on medium heat.
Beat together egg and 1 tbsp BBQ sauce.
Mix flour, salt, pepper.
Dip tofu in egg mixture, then flour mixture.
Fry 1 min (until golden brown).
Brush tofu with remaining BBQ sauce.
Broil 5 min each side.
Serve with chopped scallions
You'll also love
- Grilled Portobello, Bell Pepper... 4.4/5 (39 Votes)
- Coconut Red Bean Soup 4.1/5 (20 Votes)
- Duck Confit Flatbread 4/5 (33 Votes)
- Broccoli Bacon Cheese Salad 4/5 (29 Votes)
- Pulled pork 4/5 (24 Votes)
- NEW BRUNSWICK STEW 4.1/5 (15 Votes)
- Tofu Mutter 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Steamed Butterflied Shrimp with... 4/5 (22 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These baked Cheesy Eggplant Hedgehogs are totally adorable, tasty and really easy to make!
- 3 large eggplants
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cup shredded cheese
- Mix the olive oil, chopped basil, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Carefully slice the eggplant on it's side in a cross-hatch pattern, without cutting all the way through.
- Lay the eggplants inside an oven-safe baking tray.
- Pour the oil mixture over the eggplants, taking care to pour between the slices.
- Stuff the gaps in the eggplant with shredded cheese.
- Cook in the oven at 355°F for 45 minutes, until the flesh is cooked and the cheese totally melted.
- Serve and enjoy!