After you have a nice ham, save the bone for this soup
- Ham bone
- Leftover ham
- Dry white beans
- Tomatoes - canned
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Put the ham bone in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for a few hours to release the flavours and reduce the water down to stock. Soak the beans overnight in water, or boil and soak as per the instructions on the package. Add to pot and simmer until tender. Chop the vegetables and add to the pot. Add as much of the tomatoes as you need to keep a soup consistency and also for flavour. Taste and tweak throughout the simmering process until you are happy with it. Add any leftover chopped ham in the last hour of cooking to retain it's flavour.
This can be made with or without the tomatoes, and a smoky ham gives the best taste.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
You'll drool over this 3 cheese, bacon-wrapped baguette.
- Blue cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- 1 baguette
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Cut your cheeses into thin slices
- Slice baguette down the middle (like a sandwich)
- Layer cheddar, blue, and mozarella cheese inside the bread
- Top with sun-dried tomatoes
- Close baguette and wrap with bacon strips
- Put in oven and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees
- Slice and serve!