Savory delicious gumbo recipe handed over by a fellow co-worker.
- 3 Large skinless chicken breasts cut in halves
- 1/4 C. Vegetable oil
- 1 Lb. Smoked sausage cut in 1/4 inch' slices
- 1/2 C. Flour
- 5 Tbs. butter
- 2 Onions
- 12 Cloves garlic mashed & minced
- 2 Bell peppers
- 3 Celery stalks cut like bell peppers
- 1/4 C. Worcester sauce
- 1/4 Bunch parley chopped
- 4 C. hot water
- 6 Beef bullion cubes
- 2-14 Oz. cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 Small can tomato paste
- 5 Green onions sliced & minced
- Shrimp de-viened & cooked
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 90mins
Cost Average budget
Cut chicken in bite size pieces. Add salt and pepper
Heat oil in heavy bottom dutch oven. Brown chicken on both sides. Don't move the chicken around too much.
Remove chicken from pan, add sausage to pan. Brown sausage while scraping bottom of pan for the drippings.
Remove sausage from pan and turn heat to medium-low. Add flour & 2 Tbs. butter. Stir for 15-20 minutes for a dark brown roux. Remove from heat and continue stirring until cool.
Add remaining butter in pan and heat back up slowly on medium-low. When butter melts turn heat to medium. Add tomato paste & brown.
Add onions, garlic, celery & peppers. Cook 10 minutes ( CONTINUOUSLY STIRRING)
Add 4 cups of water and bullion cubes., whisk constantly.
Add chicken and sausage back to the pan. Reduce heat to medium-low & simmer 45 minutes.
Add stewed tomatoes & if you like, add 2 cups of okra with a splash of vinegar to kill the slime! Simmer for 1 hr. 15 min.
Add shrimp before serving.
If too salty, add potato slices.
Serve with white rice & hot sauce of choice.
You'll also love
- CHICKEN PENNE 2.8/5 (19 Votes)
- Lunch Pasta Salad 3.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Chicken Spaghetti 2.9/5 (11 Votes)
- Parmesean crusted chicken 2.8/5 (18 Votes)
- Baked Chicken Ziti 2.8/5 (17 Votes)
- Overnight Breakfast casserole 2.8/5 (10 Votes)
- SAUSAGE BALLS 2.7/5 (8 Votes)
- Coconut milk soup with shrimp 2.9/5 (31 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.