This is a vegan version of a gumbo one of my friends in Florida used to make. It is rich and flavorful. Even carnivores won't miss the meat.
- 3 vegan mexican sausages, sliced
- 3 vegan smoked apple sage sausages, sliced
- 1 pkg vegan chorizo, sliced
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine, soft
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 pkg frozen okra, sliced
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp coriander
- 1 lg can tomatoes, diced and juice
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Celery salt, to taste
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 cup creole hot sauce
- Cooked rice, to serve
Level of difficulty Average
Cooking time 100mins
Cost Average budget
Saute sausages until brown. Saute onion and garlic until caramelized.
Create a roux by heating the margarine, flour, and nutritional yeast.
Add onion mixture, vegetables, and spices to roux, cook 2 minutes.
Combine all ingredients in a large pot or crockpot. Simmer for 1 hour.
Serve over rice.
You can make your own sausages by: frying minced 1 celery, 1 red bell pepper, 1/2 sweet onion, 1 tbsp garlic, and 8 mushrooms until caramelized. Combine 1 tsp sage, 2 ground bay leaves, 2 tbsp cilantro minced, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/4 tsp allspice, 1, tsp celery salt, 1 cup breadcrumbs, 1 cup wheat gluten, 1/2 cup AP flour, and 1/4 cup nutritional yeast. Blend 1/2 cup silken tofu and 1 tsp liquid smoke. Combine all ingredients. Mix well. Shape into a log and roll tightly in tin foil. Bake 325*F for 1 1/2 hours.
You'll also love
- VEGAN NUTMEG PANCAKES WITH VEGGIE... 4.5/5 (25 Votes)
- Southwestern Venison Meatloaf With... 3.2/5 (19 Votes)
- Layered Chicken and Stuffing 3.2/5 (19 Votes)
- Fried bologna and onions 3.2/5 (6 Votes)
- Rajma dosai 2.8/5 (22 Votes)
- SPICY PEPPER CORN SOUP 2.8/5 (8 Votes)
- Korean Dumplings 2.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Baba Salad 3.1/5 (12 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These baked Cheesy Eggplant Hedgehogs are totally adorable, tasty and really easy to make!
- 3 large eggplants
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cup shredded cheese
- Mix the olive oil, chopped basil, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Carefully slice the eggplant on it's side in a cross-hatch pattern, without cutting all the way through.
- Lay the eggplants inside an oven-safe baking tray.
- Pour the oil mixture over the eggplants, taking care to pour between the slices.
- Stuff the gaps in the eggplant with shredded cheese.
- Cook in the oven at 355°F for 45 minutes, until the flesh is cooked and the cheese totally melted.
- Serve and enjoy!