Carolyn's Hungarian Kalach
This is my lazy way to make Kalach. My grandfather use to take 5 hours to make the dough. This version works out just fine and is very easy. The filling freezes easily. It is fantastic with tea or coffee, best eaten warm out of the oven.
- 4 white frozen bread loaves
- 1 large package of walnuts
- 1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 Lemon Rind Grated
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 fresh squeezed lemon juice
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
Grind the almonds into a fine texture. Add the rest of the ingredients. It should form a firm paste like almond paste. Roll out one bread roll. It should be 1/4 of an inch thick. You have to really work the bread dough stretching it back and forth until you have about 12 inches in length and about 10 inches in width. Spread the paste over top of the bread dough. You are going to roll it like a jelly roll so don't put the paste on too thick, about 1/4 in thick. Take one end and start to roll it tightly. Pinch the ends closed. Roll it back and forth along the seam so it doesn't come apart.
Place it on parchment paper with the seam down. Let it rest and rise for 20 min's. You should be able to get 2 rolls on each cookie sheet. Brush with butter or egg.
Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.
You'll also love
- Hungarian Zucchini Squash with... 4.4/5 (198 Votes)
- Hungarian Goulash 4.2/5 (29 Votes)
- Harvest Brew 2.9/5 (13 Votes)
- Meatloaf 2.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Simple Dumpling 2.8/5 (21 Votes)
- Mexican Egg Casserole 2.9/5 (11 Votes)
- Fluffy french toast 2.9/5 (9 Votes)
- Pineapple Upside Down Bread Pudding 2.6/5 (34 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
We are definitely making these Easy Cheesy Mini Pizzas for our next party!
- Pizza Dough (homemade or store bought)
- Shredded cheese
- Pizza sauce
- Cured ham, shredded
- 4 eggs
- Cherry tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- Roll out the dough
- Use a small bowl to cut the dough into rounds
- Add shredded cheese
- Place in oven on an oven tray afr 10 min at 355°F
- Put each dough round into a ramekin
- Add 1 tbsp pizza sauce, a handful of shredded cured ham
- Break an egg into each pizza
- Top with sliced cherry tomatoes and a basil leaf
- Place in oven for another 15 mins at 355°F
- Garnish with parsley and a pinch of pepper
- Serve and enjoy!