Hungarian Fried Cabbage and Dumplings (Haluska)
This is a good hearty favorite of mine I ate while growing up. I still love it. Don't know why I don't make it more often.
There is also a version of it using cottage cheese mixed with the dumplings instead of the cabbage. If you do this version, just add a pound of cottage cheese to your dumplings and heat through.
- 1-grated head of cabbage
- ( small chopped onion if desired)
- 1/4 c. butter
- 6 slightly beaten eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 1-cooked potato or mashed potatoes
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
Prepare the dumplings by placing the flour in a large bowl and making a well in the middle and pour the slightly beaten eggs into this well. Mix all together while gradually adding the water. Mix in the mashed potato. The dough will be sticky.
Boil a big pot of water to a boil and then lower heat to low. Place a metal tablespoon into the water to coat and then slide up a small bit of the dough up the inside of the bowl onto the edge of the spoon. Lay into the hot water until it falls from the spoon. Continue until all the batter is gone. The dumplings will float to the top. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Don't boil the dumplings but cook on a low to medium heat. Uncover and cook another 10 minutes. Drain.
Prepare the cabbage (and chopped onion) by melting the butter in a fry-pan and adding the cabbage. Brown and caramelize in the butter. When almost done, add the drained dumplings and cook a few minutes more.
You'll also love
- potato croquettes 4.7/5 (21 Votes)
- Kumpa 3.9/5 (43 Votes)
- Meatloaf 3.4/5 (15 Votes)
- Dutch tomato soup 3.8/5 (8 Votes)
- Taro root Fry 3.1/5 (202 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Rice Patties (Bolinho de Arroz) 3.3/5 (41 Votes)
- Chicken and Dumplings Soup 3.5/5 (15 Votes)
- Hungarian Cabbage and Noodles... 3.1/5 (30 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These tasty stuffed cabbage rolls are so easy!
- 1 onion
- 5 - 6 thick rashers bacon
- 1/2 lb sausage meat
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 cabbage head
- Fry the bacon in a skillet, then add onion, and meat.
- Add tomato paste, bell peppers, garlic and salt, and simmer till cooked through
- Boil 1 whole cabbage head in salted water till tender
- Spoon mixture into individual cabbage leaves, and fold carefully to form little rolls
- Serve with any remaining mixture