Savory Roast Beef
- 3 rib roast beef, bone in
- 14 teaspoon dried majoram leaves
- 14 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 14 teaspoons rubbed savory
- 14 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon meat-extract paste
- 1 1/2 cups Burgundy
- 6 tablespoons flour
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Preheat oven to 325F. Place beef, fat side up, in shallow, open roasting pan. Do not use rack; let beef rest on bones
Put wine on first. Mix herbs with salt and pepper
Rub herb mixture into surface of beef on al sides. Insert meat thermometer through out side fat into thickest part of muscle; point should not rest on fat or bone
Dissolve meat-extract paste in 1/2 cup hot water. Use mixture to baste beef
Roast beef, uncovered, basting several times with remaining Burgundy mixture. Roast until of desired doneness.
Remove roast to heated platter. Let stand in warm place 20 minutes before carving
Meanwhile make gravy; Pour off drippings from roasting pan into measuring cup. Pour back 6 tablespoons into pan. Stir in flour to make a smooth mixture
Gradually add 1 1/4 cups water and remaining 1 cup Burgundy, stirring until smooth and browned bits in pan are dissolved
Bring to boiling, stirring. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring, 5 minutes longer. Add more salt and pepper, if necessary. Serve with beef
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Looking for an easy snack or party appetizer? These little beef pockets are a pinch!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, milk, and water in a pan, and mix until you form a dough.
- In a saucepan, heat a splash of olive oil and add the onion. Cook on medium-high until onion has softened.
- Add the ground beef, and add the salt, water, and tomato sauce. When the meat has browned, remove from heat.
- Dust a flat surface with flour, and roll out the dough into a flat sheet.
- Use a ramekin or cup to cut out circles.
- Add a dollop of beef-tomato mixture to the center of each circle.
- Pinch the dough into a little pocket.
- Bake in the oven at 350° F for 15 minutes.