Stuffed tomatoes and sliced potatoes in the oven
- For the stuffing
- ½ lb ground lamb
- ½ lb ground beef
- 1 cup of short grain rice, wished and drained well
- 6 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 small can of chopped tomatoes and/or the tomato cores which will be emptied out.
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp or more red pepper paste
- 2 tbs of dry crushed mid-oriental mint
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 3 tbs lemon juice
- This mixture should not be too runny but should have enough liquid to allow the rice to cook.
- 4 lbs of tomatoes or about 10 mid-size ripe tomatoes, it is best if they are almost the same size.
- 4 potatoes , peeled and sliced thick
- Additional juice of 3 lemons , about 1/3 cup
- ½ -¾ cup olive oil
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Core the tomatoes and keep the tops to be used as covers
Empty the inside seeds and juice of tomatoes and use them in the stuffing above
Fill the empty tomatoes ¾ of the way , allowing the rice to expand, can add some olive oil or tomato juices left over from the cores.
Place the top of the tomato back to keep the rice from drying
Place tomatoes in a large baking dish, put the potatoes around the tomatoes
Sprinkle the potatoes and tomatoes with a mixture of salt, lemon juice and olive oil and place in the oven 350 for about an hour or until the potatoes and the rice are cooked.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.