Greek chicken "Kota Riganati"
Here is a recipe growing up with my stepfather being full Greek, for Greek chicken Kota Riganati I loved when his mother used to stop by and share the Greek food and recipes.. with memories of my own mother in making baklava!
This recipe is Greek, healthy and full of flavor! You could also try grilling this on the BBQ for a great summer main dish or light lunch.
- 1 whole chicken (3 to 4 pounds) with neck and giblets removed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Greek Marinade ( see recipe below)
- Oil for the grill rack
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Budget Friendly
1. To make the grilled Greek chicken, place the bird, breast side down, on a cutting board. Using kitchen shears or a large knife, cut along one side of the backbone from tail to neck. Pull open the bird, then cut along the other side of the backbone and discard the backbone or save it for stock. Turn the chicken breast side up and open it as flat as possible, as you would a book. Press down firmly on the breast to break the breastbone—you will hear and feel popping—and flatten the chicken
2. Season the chicken generously on both sides with salt and pepper. Place the chicken in a large resealable plastic bag so that it lies flat or place it in a baking dish or other large container. Add the marinade and seal the bag, squishing the marinade around the chicken, or turn the chicken to coat. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours and up to 48 hours. (The longer the better.) Be sure to turn the bag or chicken several times while the chicken is marinating.
3. At least 30 minutes before you’re ready to grill, remove the chicken from the refrigerator. Drain and discard the marinade. Pat the chicken dry.
4. Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for indirect grilling over medium heat. If using charcoal, bank the lit coals on one side of the grill bed, and place a drip pan in the area without coals. If using gas, preheat the burners, then turn off 1 or more of the burners to create a cooler zone. The temperature inside the grill should be 350° to 375°F (180° to 190°C). Brush and oil the grill grate.
5. Place the chicken, skin side down, over the direct-heat area of the grill. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes. Turn and continue cooking until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh, away from the bone, registers 170°F (77°C) or the juices run clear when a thigh joint is pierced with a knife tip, 15 to 25 minutes more, depending on the size. If the chicken begins to burn, move it to the indirect-heat area of the grill for a little more time.
6. Transfer the grilled Greek chicken to a cutting board, tent it loosely with aluminum foil, and let rest for 10 minutes. Cut into serving pieces and serve at once. enjoy!
for the marinade Greek marinade recipe.....
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (from 3 to 4 lemons)
4 cloves garlic, crushed or finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leave parsley
1 tablespoon each chopped fresh oregano, rosemary, thyme, and basil
1/2 cup olive oil
1. Stir together the lemon juice, garlic, parsley, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and basil in a bowl. Whisk in the oil. Use right away. (Actually, you can cover and refrigerate the marinade for up to 1 day before using.)
You'll also love
- YUM!Food Porn The ULTIMATE recipe for DETOX WATER 4.9/5 (231 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Chicken Wing with Pistachios, a... 4.7/5 (123 Votes)
- Mamma's Bundy Chicken 3.8/5 (222 Votes)
- Algerian Bourek Chicken 4.6/5 (113 Votes)
- Parmesan Chicken Breast 4.3/5 (106 Votes)
- Marinated Seared Tuna 3/5 (266 Votes)
- Healthy Tuna Melt open-faced... 4.3/5 (121 Votes)
- Duck breast with Raspberry marinade 2.9/5 (214 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.