- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 1 tsp. seasoned salt
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 (14½ oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilis
- 2 cups (16 oz) cottage cheese
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inch) torn
- 4 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- crushed tortillas (optional)
- salsa (optional)
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
In a large skillet cook ground beef until no longer pink. Add seasoned salt, taco seasoning mix, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and chilis. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for about 15-20 minutes.
In a small bowl combine the cottage cheese and eggs. Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
Layer half of the meat sauce in the bottom of the 9×13 pan. Next, layer half of the torillas, them cottage cheese, and half of the cheese. Repeat layers ending with cheese.
Bake uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with optional toppings.
Serve immediately or before baking, cover and freeze up to 3 months.