- 2 cups diced turnip
- 2 cups diced carrot
- I/4 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 8 cups beef stock
- 1 1/4 ounce can whole tomatoes
- 1 1/4 ounce can crushed. tomatoes
- 1 1/4 ounce can red kidney beans
- 1 small can corn niblets
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
Sauté turnips, carrots and 2 onions in butter until soft. In a saucepan, combine the lentils and beef stock and cook about 30 minutes, until lentils are soft. In a large stockpot, combine the sautéed vegetables and beefy stock mixture. Add the ingredients and simmer about 3minutes.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Looking for an easy snack or party appetizer? These little beef pockets are a pinch!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, milk, and water in a pan, and mix until you form a dough.
- In a saucepan, heat a splash of olive oil and add the onion. Cook on medium-high until onion has softened.
- Add the ground beef, and add the salt, water, and tomato sauce. When the meat has browned, remove from heat.
- Dust a flat surface with flour, and roll out the dough into a flat sheet.
- Use a ramekin or cup to cut out circles.
- Add a dollop of beef-tomato mixture to the center of each circle.
- Pinch the dough into a little pocket.
- Bake in the oven at 350° F for 15 minutes.