Steak and Mushroom Pasties
We recommend pairing these savory dinner pastries with light meals of pasta or soup!
These tasty steak and mushroom pasties are the perfect hand-pie snack or dinner!
- I lb of steak (preferably strip loin)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 lb quartered mushrooms
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pkg frozen puff pastry
- 1 beaten egg
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 25mins
Cost Average budget
Trim visible fat from steaks and cut into ½-inch pieces, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Heat 1 tbsp of oil over medium high heat in large nonstick frying pan, and brown the meat. Remove meat to a plate.
Return frying pan to medium-high heat and add remaining oil. Cook mushrooms, onion, garlic and Italian seasoning, stirring for about 10 minutes or until golden and liquid has evaporated.
Add beef to mushroom mixture, (reserve any juices to make a gravy) add worcestershire sauce and cook for 1 minute. Stir in parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let cool to room temperature.
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Roll puff pastry to form a square about 16 in x 16 in. Cut into 4 squares. Divide mixture evenly on one half of each square. Brush edges with some of the egg. Bring the other 2 corners over the filling and form a rectangle. Pinch seams to seal. Carefully transfer to parchment-paper-lined baking sheet.
Brush each pasty with egg and bake in centre of oven for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.
You'll also love
- Kale & Mushroom Saute 4.6/5 (25 Votes)
- Grammy Morrill's Chex Mix 4.6/5 (69 Votes)
- mushroom and nettle tart 4.8/5 (73 Votes)
- Mushroom Swiss Cubed Steak 5/5 (5 Votes)
- Stuffed Tomatoes 4.7/5 (101 Votes)
- Chicken and Mushroom Risotto 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Mushroom, Red Wine Demi Glaze 4.3/5 (280 Votes)
- Mildly Spicy Meatloaf Recipe 4.5/5 (26 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
All you need is 3 main ingredients to make this Chocolate Strawberry Braid for dessert tonight!
- 7-9 medium-sized strawberries
- 1 puff pastry
- 1 chocolate bar
- 1 egg yolk
- Almond slivers
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut the strawberries into halves.
- Dust some flour on a flat surface and spread your puff pastry out on top, smoothing it into a rectangle shape if necessary.
- Place the bar of chocolate in the center, then top with a layer of strawberry halves.
- Using a pizza cutter or a knife, slice the edges of the puff pastry into strips that can be wrapped over the chocolate and strawberries. Starting with the flap at the top, fold over each strip in a slightly diagonal direction so that they resemble a braid.
- Brush the braid with a beaten egg yolk so that it covers the entire visible surface.
- Sprinkle almond slivers on top.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes.
- Give the braid a few minutes to cool down, then cover with a dusting of powdered sugar.
- Serve and enjoy!