Steak and Cheese Pie
- Short Crust Pastry
- 600 g blade steak, or other stewing steak, cubed
- 2 Tbsp plain flour
- 1 Onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Cup beef stock
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 200 g Button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Cup grated cheese. Edam, cheddar, or similar
- Mashed potato
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 500mins
Cost Average budget
Toss beef in flour and fry in a little oil to brown. Remove and set aside. Fry the onion, garlic, and mushrooms for about 4 minutes. Add the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and stock and bring to the boil.
Put beef, and vegetable/sauce mixture into a slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours. Alternatively, place in a casserole dish and cook in the oven at 160°C for 2 and a half hours.
Pour the beef filling mixture over the prepared, blind baked, pastry case. Spread grated cheese over top and top with mashed potato.
Bake for 20 minutes at 190°C
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
You'll drool over this 3 cheese, bacon-wrapped baguette.
- Blue cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- 1 baguette
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Cut your cheeses into thin slices
- Slice baguette down the middle (like a sandwich)
- Layer cheddar, blue, and mozarella cheese inside the bread
- Top with sun-dried tomatoes
- Close baguette and wrap with bacon strips
- Put in oven and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees
- Slice and serve!