- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 4oz tomato paste
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pkg stevia
- 1 medium sized onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 medium carrots diced
- 2 medium potatoes cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 5 cups low-sodium beef broth (or sub in 1 cup of red wine for broth and use this to deglaze pan before adding broth)
- Salt & Pepper to season
- Could also season with favourite spices e.g.chili powder for kick, cinnamon for complexity.
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Prepare meat by cutting it into chunks and making sure that it's dry so it browns well. Season it well with salt and pepper. Heat the butter and olive oil in a large pot, then add in the meat and cook it until it has browned on all sides. Remove it from the pot and set it aside.
Cook the diced onion and minced garlic in the same pot, just until the onion softens, then add in the tomato paste and stir it in well, then let cook for a minute or two If using wine, add 1 cup and scrape bottom of pan until all brown is incorporated. Still stirring, add in 3 (if using wine) or 4 cups of the beef broth (reserve the remaining cup for later, in case you need to thin out the stew), then add one packet of stevia and a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce. Stir well and return the beef and all its juices back into the pot, then cover and reduce the heat to low and just let the stew simmer for about an hour and a half, stirring it occasionally.
Prepare your vegetables. Peel and dice your carrots and potatoes. After the stew has been cooking for about an hour and a half, add in the carrots, potatoes and frozen peas, and let the stew cook for another half our, or until the meat and the vegetables are soft. If the stew is getting too thick, add some more beef broth at this point too, and check the seasoning.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Looking for an easy snack or party appetizer? These little beef pockets are a pinch!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, milk, and water in a pan, and mix until you form a dough.
- In a saucepan, heat a splash of olive oil and add the onion. Cook on medium-high until onion has softened.
- Add the ground beef, and add the salt, water, and tomato sauce. When the meat has browned, remove from heat.
- Dust a flat surface with flour, and roll out the dough into a flat sheet.
- Use a ramekin or cup to cut out circles.
- Add a dollop of beef-tomato mixture to the center of each circle.
- Pinch the dough into a little pocket.
- Bake in the oven at 350° F for 15 minutes.