Asparagus spinach soup
Creamy, full of wonderful veggies, impossible to mess...and delicious!
- 2 pounds asparagus (about 2 large bunches or 3 bunches of asparagus tips)
- 29 ounces (2 cans) of chicken broth or 1 box
- 2 tablespoons of Better-Than-Bouillon Reduced Sodium chicken base
- (or two bouillon cubes in a pinch)
- 12 to 16 ounces of fresh spinach
- (or 1 brick of frozen spinach, cooked and drained)
- 3 large shakes of Tabasco Sauce or a pinch of cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder or more to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 16mins
Cost Average budget
Wash asparagus and fresh spinach. Remove tough parts of asparagus stems and throw away. Chop remainder of the stalks into 1” pieces and add to large saucepan. Add chicken broth and Better-Than-Bouillon, then cook until the asparagus is tender, about ten minutes.
Remove from heat, add spinach leaves (or cooked spinach from frozen brick), and stir to wilt the leaves. Transfer about a third of the asparagus and spinach mixture to a blender and add enough broth so that the mixture purees smoothly into a nice thick, rich consistency. Repeat again with more vegetables, then add enough additional broth to get the consistency desired; you don’t want it too thin. Add Tabasco, garlic powder, and pepper to taste. If it’s too bland, add a little more of these seasonings or a bit more Better-Than-Bouillon. For extra flavor and fun, add ½ cup of Parmesan cheese, being sure to blend long enough to fully incorporate it into the soup.
Serve with fresh shredded Parmesan cheese on top. (Cheddar and Swiss are also tasty.)
Note: In a pinch, bouillon cubes can be used in place of Better-Than-Bouillon. This recipe generally won't need added salt. There is enough salt right in this chicken base and in the chicken broth to make it taste just fine.
You'll also love
- Asparagus and Tapenade Verrine 4.7/5 (38 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Shrimp and Spinach Soup 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Spinach Lasagna Rolls 3.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Posole 3.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Spicy Beef & Spinach Lasagna 2.4/5 (61 Votes)
- Pasta Fagioli 3/5 (9 Votes)
- Cream of Spinach Soup 2.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Chicken and Asparagus Pasta 2.9/5 (18 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Bursting with cheese and wrapped up in bacon, these stuffed chicken breasts are totally irresistible!
- Chicken breast
- 6 -8 bacon slices
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1 small jar semi-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Carefully slice the chicken breasts, forming a pocket, without cutting right through.
- Fry the breasts until golden brown on both sides.
- Layer bacon slices on a chopping board.
- Place the chicken breast on the far left, and top with spinach leaves, semi-dried tomatoes and cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roll the chicken breast in the bacon slices, folding it closed as you go.
- Cook in the oven for 20 minutes at 375°F.
- Serve, and enjoy!