A Christmas favorite!
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup Whiskey
- 1 lb. butter (homemade if you have it)
- 4 cups sifted flour
- 1 heaping tsp. baking powder
- 1 lb white (golden) raisins,cut or chopped
- 1 quart pecans, chopped
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Cream butter and sugar, then add beaten egg yolks and whiskey.
Mix chopped nuts and raisins with 1 cup flour and stir into batter.
Mix baking powder in remaining flour.
Beat egg whites.
Alternate mixing flour and egg whites into cake batter. (You need to do this by hand or with a stand mixer with a very good motor. The batter is very heavy.)
Add lemon extract
Pour into greased and floured loaf pans (4) or1 tube pan and bake at 350 degrees for 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Craving sweet? This rustic cherry tart is easy, quick and delicious!
- 1 shortcrust pastry
- 3 cups / 750 g. of cherries
- 1/3 cup / 60 g. of sugar
- 2/3 cup / 60 g. of almond flour
- 4 tbsp. of brown sugar
- A dash of milk
- Mix the cherries and sugar together. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Spread or roll out the shortcrust pastry, sprinkle with almond powder and brown sugar.
- Place the cherries in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches of free dough on the edges. Fold in the edges.
- Brush with milk (this will make the crust go golden), sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
- Top with a handful of chopped pistachios, and serve!