Crab Cakes - Small Batch
- 4 living blue crabs
- 1 egg
- about a cup of bread crumbs
- handful of chopped onion
- small bit of mayo
- pinch of red pepper and hot sauce
- salt and pepper
Level of difficulty Easy
Cost Budget Friendly
Boil the crabs. Like most things that live in shells, you want to do this while they are still alive. Boil them until they are cooked, and their shells are red.
This is the step where you excavate the crab meat. If this is your first rodeo, keep reading. You're going to want to do this part over a sink or trashcan. Hold the crab upside down. If it's too hot, hold it with a towel. Take a butter knife and wedge it between the top and bottom shell until they pop apart. Open it up and let the "goop" drip into the trash. Rinse the crab off. Remove the gills. They are the spongy things that look like ribs. Get all the crab meat from the main shell, claws, and legs, put it in a bowl.
Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Shape the batter into 2 crab cake patties.
Coat the crab cakes in flour and saute in butter until golden on the outside and done in the middle.
Serve with cocktail sauce. Enjoy the fact that your long day of crabbing was fruitful ( :
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
You'll drool over this 3 cheese, bacon-wrapped baguette.
- Blue cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- 1 baguette
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Cut your cheeses into thin slices
- Slice baguette down the middle (like a sandwich)
- Layer cheddar, blue, and mozarella cheese inside the bread
- Top with sun-dried tomatoes
- Close baguette and wrap with bacon strips
- Put in oven and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees
- Slice and serve!