Mindless Meat Sauce
- 1 1/2 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 finely chopped medium onion
- 15 finely chopped large mushrooms
- 3 minced cloves garlic
- 28 oz. (796 ml) can chopped tomatoes
- 14 oz. (398 ml) can tomato sauce
- 5 1/2 oz. (156 ml) tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
Cost Average budget
In a large heavy bottomed pot, brown meat with spices, onion, mushrooms and garlic until onion is soft.
Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, paste and sugar. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered, at least 1 hour.
Correct seasonings to taste. Store in containers and freeze.
Use this sauce in any recipe calling for meat sauce such as spaghetti, lasagne or cannelloni.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Looking for an easy snack or party appetizer? These little beef pockets are a pinch!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, milk, and water in a pan, and mix until you form a dough.
- In a saucepan, heat a splash of olive oil and add the onion. Cook on medium-high until onion has softened.
- Add the ground beef, and add the salt, water, and tomato sauce. When the meat has browned, remove from heat.
- Dust a flat surface with flour, and roll out the dough into a flat sheet.
- Use a ramekin or cup to cut out circles.
- Add a dollop of beef-tomato mixture to the center of each circle.
- Pinch the dough into a little pocket.
- Bake in the oven at 350° F for 15 minutes.