Chicken Breast in Wine
- 15 whole chicken breasts. boned and skinned
- 1 3/4 cups butter
- 1/2 cup cognac
- 2 1/2 small fresh mushrooms
- 5 lbs small white onions
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 1/3 cups sauterne
- 3 cans (12 1/2 size) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Cut chicken breasts in half
In two large skillets, divide 1 1/4 cups butter; heat. Fry chicken, a few pieces at a time until golden - about 5 minutes on each side. Remove; set aside until all chicken is browned. Return to skillets
Warm cognac in small saucepan. Divide over chicken; ignite
Heat remaining butter in 2 5-quart dutch ovens. Saute mushrooms and onions about 10 minutes, stirring several times. Add chicken, salt, pepper, bay leaves, thyme, 2 cups sauterne, and chicken broth.
Cover, and simmer over low heat 20 minutes or until chicken is fork-tender.
In small bowl, make a smooth paste of cornstarch and remaining sauterne. Gradually add to chicken; simmer, stirring for 5 minutes
Stir in heavy cream; simmer, covered, 10 minutes
Remove bay leaves. Serve in chafing dish or over candle warmer. Serve with white rice
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.