Southwestern Spiced Broccoli and Cheese with Hot Peppers
I came up with this recipe because I couldn't find any southwestern style recipes that used broccoli. A simple, easy, cheesy veggie side that goes with just about any Southwestern style meal. I have also made this with halved Brussels sprouts, cauliflower florets, and even some very coarse chopped kale with the stems (if trying kale, steam or saute in small amount of favorite oil til barely wilted).
- 2 pounds broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 1/2 cup fine chopped white onion
- 8 crushed cloves garlic
- 1 fine chopped Anaheim chili pepper
- 3 minced red jalapeno peppers
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon minced cilantro
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup gold tequila or dry white wine
- 1 cup crumbled queso blanco cheese
- 1 cup grated Monterey or pepper jack
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Steam broccoli over boiling water about 5 minutes, or til bright green and almost tender.
While broccoli is steaming, heat butter and oil in heavy skillet over medium heat. Saute onion 3 minutes, stir frequently til soft and lightly golden. Stir in garlic, peppers, chili powder, cilantro, oregano and cumin, cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat.
Add broccoli to skillet, stir in tequila and cheeses. Heat over medium low heat, stirring constantly cheese is smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste, toss til broccoli is coated with cheese.
The broccoli stems can also be used if if they are peeled to get rid of the tough outer skin, then cut in 1 inch pieces.
You'll also love
- Mexican Spiced Hot Cocoa 4.5/5 (24 Votes)
- Roasted Garlic & Cherry Tomatoes 2.9/5 (19 Votes)
- Thai Jasmine & Collard Greens 2.9/5 (14 Votes)
- Hot sandwiches 3.5/5 (34 Votes)
- Tuna Tart 3.8/5 (6 Votes)
- Ratatouille 2.9/5 (14 Votes)
- Canned Hot Peppers 3/5 (15 Votes)
- Broccoli Salad with Sunflower Seeds 2.8/5 (18 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
This Gluten-Free Broccoli Pizza is original, healthy and super tasty!
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 egg
- 1 ¾ cups of your favorite shredded cheese (we recommend two types- 1 cup of one, ¾ cup of the other)
- 1 cup tomato sauce (or canned crushed tomatoes)
- ¾ cup shredded cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- 9 slices coppa ham
- Cut the broccoli and boil until soft.
- Place the broccoli in a blender.
- In a bowl, add an egg and ¾ cup of shredded cheese, mix until solid.
- Form a ball and roll it flat on an oven tray.
- Bake in the oven for 20 min at 350° F.
- Once out of the oven, spread the tomato sauce evenly on the broccoli crust.
- Layer 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Place a layer of Coppa ham.
- Top off with of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Slide it back into the oven until the cheese melts.