Southwestern Grilled Chicken With Hot Pepper-Mezcal Glaze
Another of my very spicy southwestern creations (if too hot for your tastes, use fewer or milder peppers). You can substitute duck or goose for chicken and the recipe still works great. Serve with grilled vegetables
beets, peppers, onions, potato wedges, etc and a fresh salad for a nice
summer evening meal. Add some icy cold beer or a mezcal cocktail for a taste of the good life.
- 1 5 pound whole chicken
- 1 tablespoon coarse ground coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon fine chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher or sea salt
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons crushed dried red pepper
- 3/4 cup fresh orange
- pineapple or mango juice
- 3/4 cup silver mezcal or tequila
- 3 tablespoons packed golden brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 fine chopped red jalapeño peppers
- 2 fine chopped serrano peppers
- 2 fine chopped habanero peppers
- 1 fine chopped Anaheim pepper
- 3 minced shallots
- Nut or other oil
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Cut chicken in pieces and very lightly brush with oil. Combine spices and sprinkle all over chicken, pressing to imbed on chicken. Put chicken skin side up on a baking sheet, cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours and up to overnight. Bring to room temperature before cooking.
Combine juice, mezcal, sugar, honey, peppers, and shallots in small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly til sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to medium-
low and simmer til slightly thickened, about 10 minutes, cool. Reserve 1/2 of the glaze in bowl and set aside.
Clean grill and rub with oil, heat grill to medium. Arrange chicken, skin side up, on grill. Grill about 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Brush glaze on both sides of chicken. Continue grilling til juices run clear when pierced or til instant-read thermometer inserted into chicken registers 170°F, turning and brushing occasionally with glaze, about 10 minutes longer. Put chicken on platter, spoon reserved glaze over top and serve.
You'll also love
- Rabbit stew 4.7/5 (90 Votes)
- Grilled Chicken Cesar Pasta Salad 4.7/5 (31 Votes)
- Mexican Pumpkin Pasole 4.1/5 (20 Votes)
- Chicken Tacos with Mango Avocado... 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Pasta Chicken Skillet 4/5 (16 Votes)
- Bacon Cheese Chicken 4/5 (14 Votes)
- Hobo Cobbler 4.1/5 (9 Votes)
- Mac N Cheese 3.9/5 (23 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.