Horseradish-Crusted Roast Beef with Veggies and Gravy
This recipe really has no real originality. I took a nice beef roast (I prefer either boneless rump or bottom round roasts) and made up a flavorful coating, added some veggies and this is the result. Serve with some nice fresh, buttered homemade crusty bread or biscuits for a complete meal. Add a salad if desired but it's really not needed. This recipe also works great with wild game roasts like venison, bison and elk.
- 8 pound beef roast
- 3/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 8 cloves mashed garlic
- 2 tablespoons kosher or sea salt
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons fine chopped dill fronds
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons gin or silver tequila
- 1 pound halved red potatoes
- 1 pound halved carrots
- 2 medium halved red onions
- 2 medium halved yellow onions
- 2 medium halved zucchini squash
- 3 medium halved beets
- 2 cups homemade beef or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Extra gin or water
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Preheat the oven to 375°. Put rack in large, deep roasting pan and put roast on the rack.
Combine horseradish with garlic, salt, mustard, dill, parsley, pepper, sugar and gin, mix well to form a paste. Spread paste over top and sides of roast. Put veggies in the roasting pan, add broth. Roast in lower third of the oven for about 2 hours, til an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the roast
registers 125 F (check once or twice and add more broth or water so pan doesn't dry out and burn the veggies).
Put roast on a platter or cutting board and let rest for at least 20 minutes. Put veggies in a serving dish and keep warm.
Remove rack and put roasting pan on stove over medium-high. Add enough water and/or gin to make 3 cups, whisk to loosen any brown bits in pan. Dissolve the cornstarch in 2 tablespoons water or gin, whisk into pan and continue cooking til thickened, about 2 to 3 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste (Alternate - pour
pan juices in saucepan and continue), pour into gravy bowl and serve with roast and veggies.
The unsliced roast beef can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. The sliced roast beef can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated overnight. Leftovers can be thinly sliced to make some really awesome sandwiches, or wrapped well and frozen for up to 3 months.
You'll also love
- Pot Roast Dinner 4.6/5 (19 Votes)
- Scalloped 2 Potato Gratin 4.3/5 (24 Votes)
- One Pan Roasted Chicken and... 4.3/5 (32 Votes)
- Sue's Rahm Schnitzel 4.2/5 (30 Votes)
- Mom's Shish Kabobs 4.2/5 (30 Votes)
- Southwestern Twice Baked Chorizo... 4.2/5 (17 Votes)
- Homemade Steak Subs / Sandwiches 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Mixed salad with asparagus and... 4/5 (31 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.