Pathinettam perukku is a festival for family gatherings. Lemon rice, coconut rice, puliyodharai and yoghurt rice are the main recipes. They are served with vadaam, thogayal and pickles.
- Cooked Rice - as needed
- Shreeded coconut- from 1 coconut
- Pulichachal (Tamarind-1 big size lemon
- red chillies- 15
- coriander- 1 teaspoon
- gingely oil-1/4 cup
- turmeric powder
- curry leaves)
- Mustard seeds
- Urad dal
- Chana Dal
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
1. Lemon rice:
Saute Mustard seeds, urad dal, Chana dal, red chillies, Curry leaves, turmeric powder in oil. Add it to cooked rice. Add lemon extract and salt as needed.
2. Coconut rice:
In ghee, saute mustard seeds, green or red chillies, urad dal, cashews, curry leaves, shredded coconut till golden brown. Add this mixture and salt to cooked rice.
Make a thick tamarind extract.
In a pan saute mustard seeds, chana dal, fenugreek seeds, asafoetida, 2 red chillies, turmeric powder and curry leaves in gingely oil.
Boil for 15 to 20 minutes till oil seperates.
Add this to cooked rice.
Alternatively chillies, tamarind and coriander seeds can be blended into a fine paste with water and be added to sauteed stuff; this cooks faster.
Grind 15 red chillies and coriander seeds into a coarse powder and add it to the sauteed mixture along with the tamarind extract.
4. Buttermilk rice:
Saute oil and urad dal in ghee or oil and add it to mashed rice. Add salt and buttermilk. For flavor cashews, curry leaves, carrots and or ginger paste can be added.
Serve all these with vadaam.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These baked Cheesy Eggplant Hedgehogs are totally adorable, tasty and really easy to make!
- 3 large eggplants
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cup shredded cheese
- Mix the olive oil, chopped basil, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Carefully slice the eggplant on it's side in a cross-hatch pattern, without cutting all the way through.
- Lay the eggplants inside an oven-safe baking tray.
- Pour the oil mixture over the eggplants, taking care to pour between the slices.
- Stuff the gaps in the eggplant with shredded cheese.
- Cook in the oven at 355°F for 45 minutes, until the flesh is cooked and the cheese totally melted.
- Serve and enjoy!