Bruschetta with Port-Caramelized Onions, Blue Cheese, and Pecans
Bruschetta gets a gourmet treatment with slowly caramelized, port wine simmered onions and a blue cheese spread with pecans. Pair with a bowl of chili.
- 1½ teaspoons butter unsalted
- 1½ teaspoons oil
- 1 pound yellow onions (3 medium onions)
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 cup port
- 8 ounces blue cheese
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup pecans toasted and finely chopped
- 5 slices thick cut toasted bread
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Heat butter and oil in large non-stick skillet or dutch oven over high heat. When foaming subsides, add onions, sugar, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions soften and begin to release some moisture, about 5 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until onions are deeply browned, about 45 minutes. If onions are scorching, add 1 Tablespoon water and scrape up browned bits.
When onions are well browned, add port and cook 5 minutes.
In separate bowl, mix blue cheese, milk, cayenne, and black pepper together until smooth. Stir in chopped pecans.
Spread blue cheese mixture on toasted bread slices. Top with onions to serve.
You'll also love
- Savories- Polony & Cheese Samoosas 4.9/5 (164 Votes)
- Blue Burger 4.7/5 (74 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Sex In A Pan 3.9/5 (124 Votes)
- The southwestern tamale casserole... 4.3/5 (81 Votes)
- Buttercream Carrot Cake Icing 4.2/5 (85 Votes)
- Sole Medallion with foie gras 4.6/5 (77 Votes)
- Butter Pecan Tarts 4.3/5 (40 Votes)
- Bruschetta and Goat Cheese Crostini 4.2/5 (22 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Amp up your bruschetta, with a flavorful French twist!
- 3/4 Cup of blue cheese
- 1/2 Cup of cream cheese
- Green peas (cooked)
- 4 Sun-dried tomatoes (halved)
- 2 Slices prosciutto
- Mix together the blue cheese and cream cheese.
- Spread onto toast.
- Top with green peas, sun-dried tomatoes, and prosciutto.