Traditional Teriyaki Chicken
This is my version of the delicious "mall-style" teriyaki chicken found at the food court. It takes some planning ahead for the marinating, and the mixing of the chicken. But it is WELL worth it!
- 2 lbs boneless
- skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Mirin
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- Teriyaki Sauce:
- 1/3 cup Mirin
- 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- Dash red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 15mins
Cost Average budget
Cut the chicken thighs, fat included, into 1-2 inch pieces.
Place the chicken pieces into a large bowl.
Whisk everything together for the marinade and pour over the chicken.
Using your hands (I wear disposable gloves) massage the marinade into the chicken.
Press the chicken pieces in your hands to start breaking the fibers down.
Coat all the pieces well.
Cover the bowl with foil or cling wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours.
In a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment (or hand mixer on lowest setting) mix the chicken for 20 minutes or so.
If using a hand mixer, mix the chicken until the fat is separating from the meat of the chicken.
In a small saucepan, bring the Mirin to a boil.
Let boil for 5 minutes, then whisk in the remaining ingredients.
Bring to a boil for a minute or two, then reduce to a simmer until ready to use.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat.
Cover the skillet bottom in a layer of the chicken.
Let cook almost thoroughly, then flip with a spatula.
Break up any larger pieces with the edge of the spatula.
Spoon the teriyaki sauce over the chicken - do not reduce the heat.
Cook for about two minutes, the sauce will start to reduce.
Flip the chicken until it is fully coated in the teriyaki sauce.
Let cook another minute, then remove to a serving platter.
Serve with rice and additional sauce, if desired
You'll also love
- Triple Cooked Chicken Soup 4.4/5 (22 Votes)
- One Pan Roasted Chicken and... 4.3/5 (32 Votes)
- Spiced Beef cheeks with Carrots... 3.7/5 (101 Votes)
- Scallop Marinade 4.3/5 (28 Votes)
- Manchurian Gobi 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- California Roll 4.3/5 (21 Votes)
- Grilled Tuna (Tahiti) 4.7/5 (53 Votes)
- Baked Sweet & Sour Chicken 4.2/5 (29 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.