Chicken Sausage, Pepper and Onion Pasta Fake-Bake
- 1 pound rigatoni
- 1 pound cooked chicken sausages
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 green or red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 cubanelle pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- Ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken stock, a couple of glugs
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, (recommended: San Marzano)
- Handful chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, 10 leaves, torn or shredded
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus some to pass at table
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 25mins
Cost Average budget
Place a pot of water on the stove to boil for pasta. When the water boils, salt it and cook pasta to al dente, with a bite to it.
Prick sausages with a fork. Place chicken sausages in a large skillet and add 1 inch of water. Add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil to the skillet, 1 turn of the pan. Bring water to a boil then reduce heat a little. Allow all the liquid to cook away then brown and crisp the casings, 5 to 6 minutes.
While pasta and sausage cook, heat a deep skillet over medium heat with 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add the peppers, onions and garlic and season with salt and pepper. When the sausages are cooked through, slice them on an angle and add them to the peppers and onions. Cook together until peppers and onions are tender and sliced sausages are crisp at edges then deglaze the pan with white wine or chicken stock. Stir in crushed tomatoes and bring to a bubble, reduce heat to low.
Drain rigatoni and return to warm pot. Add ricotta cheese, salt and pepper, parsley and basil and half of the Parmigiano, a couple of handfuls, stir to combine.
To assemble the "fake bake," place half the sausage, peppers, onions and sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. Top with all of the pasta and then the remaining sausage and sauce. Cover the top of the dish with the grated Parmigiano and place until broiler 2 minutes to brown cheese and set pasta.
You'll also love
- Fluffy chicken meatballs with... 4.1/5 (19 Votes)
- Whitson Burritos 3.9/5 (14 Votes)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast 3.8/5 (23 Votes)
- Tagliatelle with smoked chicken 4.1/5 (9 Votes)
- Sunday Chicken 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Peggy's Tuna Casserole 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Nanna's Burritos 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Chicken and Dumplings Soup 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These Cheesy Cauliflower Pizza Cups are just what you need when snack o'clock rolls around!
- 1/2 cauliflower head
- 8 eggs for cauliflower mix
- 4-6 cups shredded cheese
- 6 slices salami
- 6 tbsp pizza Sauce
- Boil diced cauliflower in salted water until tender.
- Blend, then transfer to mixing bowl.
- Mix in 2 eggs, pepper and 2 cups of shredded cheese
- Share the cauliflower mixture out between 6 ramekins, forming little cups
- Add 1 cup of shredded cheese
- Bake for 25 min at 375°F
- Add a slice of salami, a tbsp of pizza sauce, and one raw egg to each ramekin
- Top with cheese and return to oven for 7 min at 375°F
- Serve, and enjoy!