Roast Chicken; Low and Slow
A slow roasted chicken that yields juicy, tender, silky meat, and crispy skin.
- 1 Roasting Chicken (3-4 Lbs)
- 2-3 tablespoons Kosher Salt
- 1 Lemon (Pierced all over)
- Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Fine Herbs
- 2 large Carrots (Peeled and cut into thirds horizontally)
- 1 stalk Celery (Cut into thirds horizontally)
- 1/2 large Onion (Cut into quarters)
- 4 cups Chicken Stock (more as needed)
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 180mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Dry chicken well, and cover with layer of salt, patting so it will stick, leave chicken on plate, or dish, uncovered in refrigerator for 12-24 hours
Preheat oven to 275F
Remove chicken from refrigerator and brush off any visible salt (there won't be much), dry the bottom of the chicken, which will be wet
Rub skin of chicken all over with olive oil, and place on rack in roasting pan, sprinkle with herbs, and push lemon into cavity of bird
Put all vegetables into pan, along with 2 cups of stock, and roast for three hours.
Turn the oven temperature to 375 for last 15 minutes to crisp skin
After one hour baste chicken, and add the remaining 2 cups of stock to pan, and continue to roast
If you are feeling highly motivated you can baste another one or two times
Once chicken is done, remove from the oven and let rest for about ten minutes while you make the pan gravy/sauce
Remove the vegetables and press out any juices from them- I used my potato ricer to do this, but you can use a sieve, or you can just puree the veggies
You can deglaze the pan with whatever you fancy; white or red wine, more chicken stock, sherry, or water, use about 1/4 cup of your choice of liquid, add back veggie liquid, and stir over high heat to reduce to a syrup-y consistency. If you want a thicker sauce melt 1 TBL butter in low heat, and add 1 TBL flour, stir and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add some of the pan liquid to the roux, and then return the roux mixture to the pan, stirring well
You'll also love
- Fish and Vegetable Casserole 4.7/5 (74 Votes)
- Slow Roasted Hen & Vegetable Medley 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- chicken thighs en papillotte 4.5/5 (40 Votes)
- Delicious Broccoli and Sunflower... 3.9/5 (30 Votes)
- Black Bean Soup 4.3/5 (13 Votes)
- Chicken salad with grapes 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Pot roast 4.3/5 (17 Votes)
- Cinnamon Clove Rump Roast 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.