This main dish is best served with caesar salad and garlic bread.
- 1 Tbsp. Oil
- 1 Medium Onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery
- Fresh green and/or red peppers, chopped
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 can/jar tomato sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes (w/ liquid)
- 1 can mushrooms (or better yet... use fresh)
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 cup cottage cheese (I use whole container).
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp. oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 pkg. “oven ready” (type) Lasagna noodles
- Sliced mozzarella cheese, or just slice the brick cheese (actually better).
Saute onions & garlic in oil. Add beef & brown; remove excess fat.
Put into cooking pot along with tomato sauce, mushrooms, celery, tomatoes & oregano. Cook sauce for ½ - 1hr (celery & onions do not have to be cooked, as they will cook in oven).
Combine in a bowl: cottage cheese, parmesan cheese, egg, oil & salt, set aside.
Spoon 1/3 of the sauce into a 9”X13” baking dish. Cover with a layer of uncooked noodles. Spread another 1/3 of the sauce; cover with noodles; then add cottage cheese mixture; followed by last layer of noodles; rest of sauce. Top with sliced mozzarella cheese.
Cover with foil (sprayed with pam 1st) and bake at 375F for 45 minutes.
Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes.
Remove from oven and let sit 15 minutes before serving.
Best to use a deep dish 9X13 inch pan, then you won't have any boil-over.
You'll also love
- Simple Chicken and Dumplings 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Beef and Worcestershire Cheese Ball 4.1/5 (42 Votes)
- Coriander Channa Pulao 4.1/5 (7 Votes)
- Delish Borscht 4.1/5 (7 Votes)
- Dannielle's Twice Baked Potatoes 4.1/5 (7 Votes)
- Potatoe Buns 4.1/5 (29 Votes)
- Savories- Lamb Kabobs 4.1/5 (16 Votes)
- Hamburger Pie 4.1/5 (54 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Do you put the pasta in without waiting for the water to boil? Add oil? Forget the salt?