Perfect Tenderloin Steak / Filets With Mushrooms
- 1 head fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (6 -8 ounce) beef tenderloin filets (nicely marbled and aged- AKA "filet mignon" 1 1/2 inches thick)
- 1 teaspoon regular olive oil
- 2 teaspoons extra coarse sea salt (or kosher)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (freshly coarsely ground)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb sliced mushrooms (white or cremini, or your fav.)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon extra kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brandy ("St. Remy" or "Remy Martin" Napolean or other good brandy, or extra dry Spanish sherry)
- 1 cup beef broth
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 15mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Roast an entire head of garlic by cutting off top, placing in a small Pyrex baking ramekin. Coat top with EVOO, salt, & pepper.
Bake until the cloves are soft and golden, about 1 hour.
Remove from the oven and let sit until cool enough to handle.
Squeeze each head of garlic to expel the cloves into a bowl.
SAVE THE OIL and add ½ tablespoon of butter. Set on counter to hold.
Increase oven temperature to 400°F.
Meanwhile, bring steaks to room temperature and sauté mushrooms.
To sauté mushrooms, melt butter and EVOO in a large conventional (not non-stick) sauté pan over medium to med-high heat. After butter foaming stops, add mushrooms, and cook until they are nicely caramelized on both sides. Do not salt & pepper until they are browned, or they will release too much liquid, and take forever to brown. Once browned, add the salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, brandy, beef broth, and roasted garlic. Reduce so that sauce is concentrated, and about ¼ original volume. Reduce to simmer to keep warm. Make an empty space in center of pan, to receive the steaks.
Rub steaks with olive oil, and liberally season with salt and freshly ground coarse black pepper.
Preheat grill (outdoor or indoor) to med-high for at least 5 minutes, with lid closed.
Sear the steaks for 2 minutes on each side, then place them in the pan, surrounded by mushrooms.
Pour the garlic-infused oil with butter, from roasting the garlic, over each steak.
Immediately place in the oven for 6½ to 7 minutes for medium rare.
Remove from oven, cover with foil, and rest for 5 minutes, for juices to settle in meat.
Serve steaks, smothered in mushrooms.
You'll also love
- Steamed Butterflied Shrimp with... 4/5 (23 Votes)
- Garlic Butter Herbed Tilapia 4/5 (46 Votes)
- Bacon Wrapped Filet 4/5 (10 Votes)
- Steak and Cheese Pie 4/5 (9 Votes)
- Aye butter tarts 4/5 (5 Votes)
- Super Easy Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms 4.3/5 (68 Votes)
- Stuffed Mushroom Recipe - Joe's... 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
- Incision cake "Capital" 4/5 (21 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Are you curious to find out what the best way to chop a garlic clove is? We show you the easiest and most efficient way to chop garlic cloves like a chef!